Prashanth Neel on Salaar getting A certificate: ‘I was very disappointed, called Prabhas sir…’

SS Rajamouli, in a special interview with Prabhas, Prithviraj, and Prashanth Neel, asked the Salaar team their thoughts about getting an A certificate for the film.

It is a bold move from the makers of Salaar Part 1: Ceasefire to not make any compromise with their film and settle for a UA certificate from the Central Board of Film Certification. While makers of such big-budget projects would aim to bring in all sets of audiences to theatres, Hombale Films will be missing out on family audiences and kids as the film is certified for adults only. SS Rajamouli, in a special interview, asked Prashanth Neel, Prabhas, and Prithviraj the same question.

Rajamouli asked Prashanth Neel his thoughts on Salaar getting an A certificate when Prabhas has so many children among his fans. Prashanth Neel said, “The intention was never to make a movie that is so violent that it will get an A certificate. I have seen Telugu cinema for the past 25-30 years, and sometimes I feel my actions are pale in comparison to the action it had. But they have drawn out new guidelines and the censor officers also told me this is what it is. The cuts they were asking for (to give UA ceritificate)… they asked for a lot of cuts, and I was ready for them. But there were a couple of cuts, which I didn’t want to do because I thought it wouldn’t satisfy the drama. I was very disappointed. I almost sat very quitely for 15-20 minutes in front of them.

He added, “I know I have not made a vulgar movie or a movie that handles violence senselessly. It is all necessary violence… more than what I have put in KGF. I thought this movie needed it because it is about friendship, and sacrifice, and about one character who doesn’t involve himself in anything that’s happening in the world. When the world pushes him to do something… we have created situations like that… it was a disappointment for me. I called Prabhas sir and asked him. His response was ‘take it’. He said this film deserves it. Probably, the guidelines are right. Probably, I will think about taking my kids to something like that, but the intention was not to make a violent movie. It was to make a dramatic movie in a violent world. Not for the commerciality of violence. The film is not designed for violence. It is designed for the emotions. I didn’t put even one scene to make Rebel Star Prabhas look like the Rebel Star Prabhas of yore.”

When Prabhas was asked about the same, he said, “The whole film is based on a fictional city Khansaar, and it is a violent city. We can’t change that for any certificate…whatever it is. The story should be right. So, I told them it’s fine.”

Salaar Part 1: Ceasefire will be released across the world on December 22 in Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, and Hindi. The film is set in a fictional city called Khansaar, where two close friends slowly turn into two formidable foes.


Post a Comment

0 Comments